Friday 21 January 2011

What's in a Name?

Last autumn at my workplace in Epsom, a Cameroonian colleague told me that she had never heard the name 'Jemma' before. When I told her matter-of-factly that Jemma was not my real forename, her first instinct was to stare as if I had committed murder. This led to creating a scene, accusing me of 'denying my name' and stating that I ought to be ashamed of myself. As if I had not gone through enough embarrassment already, she called all the other workers and told them that Jemma was not my name before alleging that I was denying the original moniker my parents had given me at birth thus suggesting that I was ashamed of being African. From the time work commenced to the moment we all went home, she was bent on broadcasting it; even on the train on the way home, in front of all those passengers she blurted it out to a friend of mine I had not seen since my college days. Although only a token number of people came to work that day, she might as well have told a million people because she really made me feel small ...and all for no reason.


For those of you who have not actually met me in the flesh, my real forename is 'Ijeoma', an African name which means 'Safe Journey', and I used it for a long time before I decided to remove the 'I' and the 'O' - the second 'M' was added later. Apparently, I had been given that name because I was born in the United Kingdom, far away from my native Nigeria. However, I have to make some corrections to those ridiculous claims: a) It was I who told that girl my real name, no-one else - would you call that denial? b) It was my late uncle who had given me the name, not my parents because in those days that was the custom (stupid custom!) c) I can confirm that I am not ashamed of being black (as a teenager I preached against skin bleaching, a crusade I follow to this day, and d) Loads of people regardless of what colour they are respond to shortened versions of their name, so do not talk to me about being ashamed.


The name 'Jemma' does indeed sound Westernised, but by using it as an alternative name does it make me less black? My sister also uses a shortened version of her name which sounds English, and believe it or not she speaks fluent Igbo and is married to a black guy. In Akwa Ibom, if any man responds to the name 'Hogan', chances are his real name is 'Okon' (the late champion boxer Hogan Bassey was born Okon Bassey Asuquo, and he was as Nigerian as they come). I wonder if that girl has told any Caucasian sunbathers that they should be ashamed of themselves for 'trying to be black'; I would love to be present if that incident occurs, and I shall just lie back and laugh when she get lynched - serves her right!


On the last series of The X Factor, a British/American rock vocalist auditioned under the name Storm Lee. Simon Cowell accused Lee of choosing a stupid name and refused to call him Storm. His fellow judges described Cowell's behaviour as rude, and quite rightly too. Lee claimed that he wanted a stronger name to reflect on the new character he had created for himself, and to be honest, the name suited him - he could sing; it's a pity he was given rubbish songs during the live shows. He had entered the contest as a singer, but because of Cowell, people only remember him as The Guy with the Weird Name. By the way Mr Cowell, the name you temporarily chose for yourself - Lightning - is even worse!





Last year, when I applied for Britain's Got Talent, I filled in the forms as Jemma C. Bond (I was unable to use Jemma Bond as it had already been taken) - the 'C' standing for the first letter in my original surname, which was just as well, because they would have been unable to pronounce a ten-letter tongue-twister! Apart from that, it would not have fitted into the restrictive world of opera. However, if I had been asked, I would have explained to them the mystery behind the 'C'...and taught them the proper pronunciation! Besides, there are tons of celebrities who use a different name in order to push themselves out there, for various reasons. Actor Ramón Gerardo Antonio Estévez is better known as Martin Sheen, and while he is proud of his Spanish/Irish ancestry, his stage name has opened several doors for him in the tough world of show business. Nevertheless, he refuses to change his name legally. I feel the same way about my name too - I refuse to change my name via deed poll, but the name Jemma is more me. If anyone has a problem with it, it's your problem, deal with it, and stop giving me worse press than a murderer.


By the way, to that girl who told those horrible vile lies about me, search yourself; if I decide to use a shortened version of my name, it's no worse than you tattooing your eyebrows on - why not use the ones God gave you? In case you haven't noticed, this is multi-cultural Britain; loads of people shorten their names for the benefit of those who are unable to pronounce them. You cannot tell me that people in Cameroon don't do the same, so shut your trap if you don't know what you're talking about.


As they say in the Aviva commercial, "Sometimes, a change of name is a chance to show the world who you've always wanted to be". My name is Bond. Jemma Bond, and I'm black and proud. And you can take that to the bank.








Love, Jemma

No comments: