Sunday 6 March 2011

DK X Factor -Live Show IIII





Pernille, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? Having said that, I probably would have made the same choice because Annelouise is unique. Rasmus, who was voted off this week, can always develop outside the competition, but right now, he's a tad ordinary. As for Annelouise, if the music profession doesn't work out, there's always Denmark's Next Top Model. But let's not talk about that now - what really angers me is that the female Jedward (also known as Rikke & Trine) are still in the competition - who is voting for them? Somebody please tell me that there's no voting scam in Denmark, because those girls are not that good, In fact, THEY should have gone this week, not Rasmus. I'm going to miss him, and his funny way of pronouncing English words - remember Week Two when he sang "...working for penis" as opposed to "...working for pennies"?  It's been two weeks, and I still can get it out of my head; in fact, I'll never listen to Paul McCartney's "Drive My Car" in the same way again!


This week was Rock Week, and my first reaction was "Rock Week, yes, Sarah's week"! Has she done something to her hair? That aside, although her rendition of "Save Me From Myself" was good, it wasn't that good, and certainly not up there with her Week Two performance when she sang "Come Together". Even then, she did look like a rocker this week, particularly when she began to strum on the guitar (I couldn't hear it, though!). She reminded me of Jamie Afro from UK X Factor series six - as a rocker, everybody expected him to shine when he sang Queen's "Radio GaGa", but unfortunately he was dull, and his lack of popularity saw him booted off the following day. I'm glad that Sarah did not meet the same fate this week, but she really needs more work if she wants to win. She already has the popularity, but I've been watching the X Factor for years, and I know that there's a difference between popularity and votes. With Sarah, it's all about the attitude, but like I said, this is a singing competition.





I'm obviously not the only person who thinks that Annelouise is model material; the producers have noticed as well, which is probably why certain segments during her performance of "Creep" were filmed in Black & White, making her look even more stunning. That's right, Annelouise sang - all together now! - "I'm a creep... I'm a weirdo... I don't belong here..." On the British version of the X Factor, Brazilian oddball Wagner sang this song, and he was rubbish as usual. His mentor couldn't have chosen a better song because he didn't belong there in the competition, unlike Annelouise who definitely does! Having said that, like Sarah she needs more work because the start was good, the chorus was weak, and the ending improved, but only slightly. She is still in the show by the skin of her teeth because she was in the bottom two this week, so that has to be a wake-up call.







On to Babou now, the biggest shock of the night. When he walked on stage, I said "Can he really do rock? He's just a baby!", and before you mention it, yes I know that Babou is sightly older than Sarah, but who cares?  The show's stylist should be sacked because the outfit was terrible (seriously, who wears a tie and a baseball hat at the same time?) When he opened his mouth to sing "Numb", I didn't think he'd be a rock singer, even though his voice was good, but when he sang the chorus I was impressed. Then came the ending, and he frightened me... but in a good way! Without a doubt, he is now a contender for the top prize.  Keep it up, dude!






Woo-hoo! Patricia brought a Scandinavian feel to the very British "Song 2" by the very British band Blur - she reminded me of the lead singer of The Cardigans. I also liked the rings she wore - they blended very well with her tattoos. It's true that unless your name is Beyoncé or P!nk, you can't produce a clear sound while you sing and dance at the same time, but I would have loved to see her move a bit more, because all she did was stand on the spot, and most people begin to dance as soon as they hear that "Woo-hoo!" "Song 2" happens to be a rock song from the Brit-Pop era, but somehow Patricia made it sound like the type of pop song Katy Perry would sing. Oh well...





Not only did Rasmus look like a real rocker minus the unkempt long hair, in that stripy shirt he reminded me of Kurt Corbain when the latter appeared in the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" video! In fact, I thought that Rasmus was going to sing the Nivana classic that night, but I was wrong. He did indeed sound like a rock star, but I think he owes the strong parts of his rather weak performance of "Black Hole Sun" to his backing band who also served as backing singers. He sang with a gritty type of emotion which I liked, but we've all seen it before, and he's now left the contest...shame. I hope to see more of him in feature though, because he really has something, we just didn't see it.





The female Jedward really annoyed me this week. First of all, WHAT WERE THEY WEARING? I've said it before but I'll say it again, SACK THE STYLIST! Second of all, why did the female Jedward and their mentor Pernille have human faces painted onto their hands? And that song was defiantly NOT a rock song ...at all. Before they walked onto the stage, I said to myself, "If Trine & Rikke can pull this off, I'll eat my hat", and I'm happy to say that I no longer have to decide whether I prefer my headgear with mayonnaise or ketchup - the girl's performance was rubbish! They had back-up dancers who all wore masks of Trine & Rikke, but they did nothing to conceal the fact that the girls are mediocre; with the usual singing-in-unison, the the hand art, the weird costumes, and even weirder dancers, the whole production made them look like cult rejects. Who is voting for them? Granted, Jedward were tone-deaf, but at least they were entertaining. These girls are anything but. GET THEM OUT!





Once again, a big thank you to the people who spared a few minutes to read this, and most especially the Danes who have sent me compliments. Mange tak.


Farvel!

No comments: